[Call for Entry]
Founded in 2013, KG＋ is an open-entry art festival dedicated to discovering and fostering talents among photographers, curators, and gallerists. KG+ is the satellite program of the KYOTOGRAPHIE International Photography Festival and held concurrently every spring in Kyoto. KG＋ creates an ideal forum for numerous emerging and veteran artists, as well as curators and gallerists. The festival provides the space to meet up and network in the international photographic arts community. With exhibitions presented citywide at a variety of venues in Kyoto, KG+ aims to encourage not only diverse creative expression but strives to nurture a participatory public environment for both global visitors and local citizens alike.
April 17 (Friday) – May 17 (Sunday), 2020
Early November 2019 - January 20, 2020
• Artists and curators regardless of age, gender, nationality, profession, or prior experience
• Individuals or groups using photos, video or installations with photographic elements
• Participants who can at least exhibit for 5 days (excluding venue closing dates) during April 17 - May 17, 2020
* Please note that exhibiting for 2 weeks or more is highly recommended especially since large number of visitors, professionals included, tend to visit during the first week of the festival.
• Applicants are welcome to apply for both the KG+ and KG SELECT.
• The screening process will be carried out by the members of the KG+ Executive Committee. The official result will be announced during mid to late January 2020 on the KG+ website. Around 50 individuals/groups in total are expected to be selected.
• Information on the selected exhibitions will be featured on KG+’s promotional material (venue maps, flyers, website, etc.)
• Unselected exhibitions can be promoted on the Fringe program’s website.
＜How to apply＞
Applicants must arrange their own exhibition venues within the city of Kyoto. Please fill in and submit the application form on the KG+ website.
＜Information about venues in Kyoto city (in Japanese/English)＞
Kyoto Keiken・Machizukuri Center
Kyoto Art Map
Galleries and other institutions are introduced on this map. Please contact the galleries directly.
To help applicants with inquiries and negotiations regarding exhibition venues, volunteer interpreters may be introduced (in French, English, Spanish, Russian, etc.):
firstname.lastname@example.org (in Japanese/ English/ French)
Applicants are requested to assemble the following materials in one single folder, accessible in an online storage format, with the link provided in the application form.
• • Exhibition statement: Applicants are welcome to refer to the statements published on the 2019 KG+ website as reference. Please write in third-person. English statements should be kept to max 300 words.
• Exhibition floor plan: Legible freehand drawings are also accepted
• Photos of the exhibition venue
• Proof of permission to use the exhibition venue: The document must include the following details: the venue’s responsible person’s full-name, personal seal or signature, venue address, a written statement showing the permission is granted to the applicant
• Proposed exhibited works (5 – 10 jpg. files, file format: ≤50Mb total, CMYK, 300dpi, ≥230mm in length).
The image files should be labeled: serial number_artist name_image title_copyright=the series’ title
e.g. 01_Akira Otsubo_Code of Shadow_©Akira Otsubo=Code of Shadow
• Artist’s recent photograph (CMYK, 300dpi, 100~150mm in length).
The image file must be labeled with the applicant’s name.
※ Please note that all the provided materials may be edited by the KG+ office to be published on KG+ material. The KG+ office will be responsible for editing the content of all related material including the promotional booklet.
※ Since the application guideline is refined every year, applicants must go through and understand all the regulations upon application. Those who have not fully submitted the necessary documents might be deemed ineligible for selection.
January 20, 2020 (JST Time)
Applications made after the deadline will not be processed.
¥5,000 to be submitted by bank transfer or Paypal. Details will be provided after submission of online application.
For those applying for both KG+ and KG+SELECT, a discounted fee of ¥7,000 will be charged in total.
＜Schedule＞ tentative to amendment
Late January 2020
The selection result will be announced on the KG+ website.
An overview of the exhibitions will be announced on the KG+ website.
Late February - early Msarch
Promotional flyers will be ready.
Late March - early April
Venue maps will be ready.
KG+ Opening Party. KG+ SELECT Grand Prix will be announced.
16 / 17 May
KG+ Closing Party
＜Terms and conditions＞
• Applicants are responsible to secure their exhibition venue reservation by January 20, 2020.
• Exhibitors are responsible for bearing all costs and charges regarding venue/equipment rental, print production, framing, installation and de-install of their own exhibition.
• Exhibitors are responsible for the daily surveillance in their exhibition space. KG＋ will not be held responsible for any related assistance or losses.
• Exhibitions will be featured on the KG＋ maps, flyers, and associated webpages. In addition, the festival organizers will be allowed to use artist-credited images of exhibition works on the KG＋ website, printed handouts and any other promotional material.
• Exhibitors who withdraw their exhibition / fail to exhibit may be charged a compensation fee to cover the cost involving the re-design and re-production of promotional materials.
• Exhibitors bear full responsibility against any third party claims of damage, rights infringement, etc.
Participants might be offered discount for applying events such as masterclasses and educational programs held by KYOTOGRAPHIE. Information will be announced by e-mail.
Unselected exhibitions can be featured on the Fringe program’s website. For those who agree to be featured, please fill in accordingly on the application form. KG+ promotional flag stand is available for rental for fringe participants. “Fringe” here refers to the idea of “outskirts” as a huge variety of exhibitions and events are happening in the same period.
KG＋2020 Application Form
KG＋ Executive Committee